Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Supplies and Equipment
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
TurtleD

My solution to a bare bottom tank...

When I finally decided on the tank I wanted for the family turtle, the recommendation by the pet store was a bare bottom, no stones. But I wanted the tank to look natural.

So here is what I decided to do to solve the issue:

Bought a 29 gal kit that has a filter, basking light, UV light, plant cluster and floating basking area.

Instead of putting stones on the bottom, I went to WalMART and bought two cans of multi-fleck spray paint in sand colors. I bought two different colors of general earthy tones and a can of frost paint.

I masked off the entire tank except the tank bottom and back (painting the out side of the tank ONLY) Holding one can of the fleck paint in each hand I sprayed some areas dark and some areas light to give it a natural blending on the bottom of the tank.

For the back I painted the fleck paint only to the height of the water level, this was done freehand so that there is not a straight line but a fading level, say about 4-5" high in the back. For the remaining area in the back I painted the frost (so that you can't see through the back of the tank to anything behind the tank).

I let it dry over night and set the tank up the next day. I must say, it turned out much better than I expected and really looks good. It looks like sand on the bottom. I added a couple large rocks because the turtle was having difficulty getting onto the basking stone.

With the smooth bottom the tank it is really easy to clean using a real fine net scoop.

So, for about $10 of paint, I didn't have to buy stones or a background picture and I don't have sediment building up in the stones on the bottom.
TurtleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Ogre44

Sounds like a good creative solution, but I do believe that the internet rule is "Pics, or it didn't happen."
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
TurtleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre44 View Post
Sounds like a good creative solution, but I do believe that the internet rule is "Pics, or it didn't happen."
Oh yeah, well it did happen:
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
TurtleD

This is Gilbert Mills looking for another snack in his feeding corner...

Notice the fleck paint on the outside of the tank bottom and the outside of the tank back. Also notice the frosted glass...painted with frost paint of course.

The tank bottom has the look of sand...it worked great and I am able to keep the tank very clean, the only issue is preventing my youngest from over feeding Gilbert Mills and clouding the water.

Last edited by TurtleD; 01-15-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Ogre44

Kudos, it looks awesome!!!

Nice name for the turtle as well.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleD View Post
Oh yeah, well it did happen:
thats quite good I may use that on one of my tanks with my musk turtle as it looks so natural. I use plastic sheeting ( I just cut a plastic bag up and it was free) blue and green under mine. Your back glass is better looking then I have seen in some aquarist tanks too good effect
ben is offline   Reply With Quote