Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Supplies and Equipment
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Callen

Unhappy Why is my turtle not eating? :(

I jist got my turtle yesterdat and hes about 3 inches long and i bought some aquatic turtle floating sticks and he still wont eat it after a half an hour... Is this normal? Im worrieed :(
Callen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen View Post
I jist got my turtle yesterdat and hes about 3 inches long and i bought some aquatic turtle floating sticks and he still wont eat it after a half an hour... Is this normal? Im worrieed :(
sometimes new turtles will not eat for a few days if they are scared. but you need to make sure the water temperature is warm or they will not eat too. plus sometimes you need to feed them the same food they were getting where you bought them from as turtles can be picky about food till they get used to it .
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Callen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
sometimes new turtles will not eat for a few days if they are scared. but you need to make sure the water temperature is warm or they will not eat too. plus sometimes you need to feed them the same food they were getting where you bought them from as turtles can be picky about food till they get used to it .
Well how long can it go without food? I got the turtle from my dads co worker and i dont know what they ate
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
ben

Quote:
Well how long can it go without food? I got the turtle from my dads co worker and i dont know what they ate
they can go weeks without eating,,but it is not good for them as they will get weak. All my turtles always ate within the first week..but each turtle I have seems to have a favourite brand of floating food it likes better then others. when I used to catch wild turtles they loved the big night crawler worms (not the compost smelling worms) and that would start them eating other foods and seeing me as a friend not a foe
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Callen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
they can go weeks without eating,,but it is not good for them as they will get weak. All my turtles always ate within the first week..but each turtle I have seems to have a favourite brand of floating food it likes better then others. when I used to catch wild turtles they loved the big night crawler worms (not the compost smelling worms) and that would start them eating other foods and seeing me as a friend not a foe
Well i bought this whole jar of Aquatic Turtle Floating sticks and theyre green and if doesnt eat them then i i really dont know what he'll eat..
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Samerajane

Quote:
Well i bought this whole jar of Aquatic Turtle Floating sticks and theyre green and if doesnt eat them then i i really dont know what he'll eat..
My two turtles are very picky. Will not touch them. Finally got them mealworms and they love them. They won't eat anything else except shrimp when there in the mood. Good luck.
Samerajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
emmababyy111

when i first got my yellow bely nd my cumberland neither of them eat for about a week its nothing to worry about their just adapting to their new surroundings
emmababyy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
turtle charmer

when theyr that small they dont seem to eat the pellets, i had that same problem a couple years ago. i suggest next time just dont get one that small
turtle charmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
MetinSimsek

Hello,
My turtle doesn't eat it's more than a week.
It is more sleepy nowadays, but jumps into water when we approach (it is scared).
It used to eat commercial food (seafood but don't know what).

Can anybody advise
MetinSimsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Rbcunn

Maybe you should try fresh meat or veggitabes. Mine love banannas as well!
Rbcunn is offline   Reply With Quote