Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Compatibility
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
kirbybirby

My Red Sliders keep biting each other?!?

I think it's actually just one of them that keeps biting the other one. But, whenever they are basking, one will all of a sudden bite the other ones leg or butt or something in the back I don't know. Is that normal? Am I not feeding them enough or something? They are only about an inch right now, I don't think it's a mating thing.
kirbybirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
amona455

i think its cause people say that when you put your turtle in a tank and add another one they get meaner idk why but i think you should seprate them or they ll start bitting you
amona455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
kirbybirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by amona455 View Post
i think its cause people say that when you put your turtle in a tank and add another one they get meaner idk why but i think you should seprate them or they ll start bitting you
I talked to my cousin who has had his turtles for 5 years (two of them) and he said it's normal. But thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Samerajane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybirby View Post
I talked to my cousin who has had his turtles for 5 years (two of them) and he said it's normal. But thanks.
Probley just getting use to each other. Enjoy!
Samerajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
kirbybirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samerajane View Post
Probley just getting use to each other. Enjoy!
Yeah that's what I thought. I've only had them for a month. And that's how long they've been around each other.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
amona455

reptiles should never be housed together. It is not natural and they will usually end up fighting and injuring each other. You need to give them each their own tank and setup ASAP before one of them gets killed. You really don't have a choice. Those painted and sliders are going to get huge one day and will need at least a 100gallon tank each!
amona455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
kirbybirby

Quote:
reptiles should never be housed together. It is not natural and they will usually end up fighting and injuring each other. You need to give them each their own tank and setup ASAP before one of them gets killed. You really don't have a choice. Those painted and sliders are going to get huge one day and will need at least a 100gallon tank each!
I said nothing about having painted turtles. They are both red sliders.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
KendraMc

Quote:
...have you ever seen turtles in the wild? it is not uncommon to see several together, and i'm pretty sure the ones i've seen that way are red eared sliders. granted, they have a lot more space to share, but they are still right next to each other some times.
  • rainbow shark

**I freely admit that most of the information I share I have learned from other people on this forum and am simply repeating. I thank you for sharing your knowledge and ask that if I say anything incorrect someone will kindly correct me**
KendraMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
kirbybirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraMc View Post
...have you ever seen turtles in the wild? it is not uncommon to see several together, and i'm pretty sure the ones i've seen that way are red eared sliders. granted, they have a lot more space to share, but they are still right next to each other some times.
Exactly! They're fine. It's not like they're 6 inches already and can do some damage on each other. They're only one inch! I will be moving them into either a 55 gallon or 30 gallon in the spring. I literally can't put them in a bigger tank right now, it's too cold. I need to put silicone in my 30 gallon and I can't because it's too cold sooo.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Samerajane

Quote:
I have a painted and he has a goldfish and a big cleaner fish and he is fine with them. 100 gallon tank for a painted turtle? I think not :) what do you have your turtle in? How big of tank?
Samerajane is offline   Reply With Quote