Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Breeding
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
kermit5327

My box turtle laid an egg

I have a box turtle that i have had for about 2 months now. for about 1.5 months I had a male turtle in with her in a step 2 kids pool in my front yard. well some one took the female (tinkle tinkle) so we let the male (grumpy) go. then we found tinkle the girl up the street took her.

anyways to the point I woke up this morning to find an egg in tinkle's pool. the only problem is that the egg was fully under water. the only reason i think she laid it there is because there was no were else to drop it.

I took the egg out of the pool with out rotating it and put it in a closed tank with a heat lamp what else should i do to prep for the egg???

also can i expect more eggs to be dropped from tinkle soon???

Ill post pics of tinkle and egg later
kermit5327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
turtlemama

box turtle egg

Usually an egg laid underwater or above ground is infertile (I don't know how the turtles know this, instinct I suppose) but its possible that it was fertile if she had no other options...if keeping male & female turtles together, always provide an accessible spot for eggs! Some turtles will refuse to lay an egg in a bad spot, & they will DIE from this!
Also if a female is bred too often, it can make her sick & weak enough to kill her.
Is the container the egg is in filled with substrate to keep it moist? If its dried out then that egg is probably now dead, I'm sorry to say.
The best place for box turtle info is boxturtlesite.info- the section on box turtle care A-Z. There is a section on breeding & on how to hatch eggs & care for hatchlings that will really help you.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
kermit5327

yea it has echo expanda beding it but should it be covered by the bedding or what
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
turtlemama

box turtle egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit5327 View Post
yea it has echo expanda beding it but should it be covered by the bedding or what
I'm really not sure, you should check out the website I suggested earlier- I don't breed my turtles, one of our females laid eggs years ago & they turned out to be infertile, so I'm not to sure of the care. I do have a baby hatchling now (which is why I know the site has that info, I had no clue how to care for him), but he was a rescue so I didn't hatch him myself. The site has a lot of detailed info so that's why I referred you to it. I know more about adult turtles & hatchlings than about eggs, I'm sorry.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
kermit5327

any help at all is great lol i dont know any thing about turtles sept what i have read. I saved tinkle from being ran over by a semi and i cant let her go because my 2 years likes her to much. She is also really great with him she will let him pet her on her shell and sometimes on top of her head.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Pepper

So you have a box turtle? Is she in water? I was a little confused about that part. Is there dirt in her enclosure?
As far as the egg no you don't want to bury the whole thing, just make a thumb print and place it there. You want to keep the substrate moist but not dripping wet and keep it between 76-85.
the site turtlemamma gave you is good and heres a couple more.
http://aboxturtle.com/box_turtle_incubation.htm
http://www.tortoise.org/general/boxcare.html
http://www.indianaturtlecare.com/index.html
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote