Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Types of Turtles
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
MIKEYYAB

how to keep tank from smelling

I constantly change the water on the turtle tank because it keeps stinking up the house, I bought a new filter with more gallon capacity and after 2 days the water still smells up the room, how do I keep the tank from smelling and stinking up the house?
MIKEYYAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
MegK

how big is your tank, how big is your turtles, how much water is in the tank, how many turtles do you have, whats your filter rated at.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
chipres

MICKEYAB: Smelly Tank?

Keep the tank clean. If you don't have a pump, you have to change the water frequently.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Twistersmom

Adding carbon to the filter will help remove some odor, along with more frequent water changes.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
1 Low Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistersmom View Post
Adding carbon to the filter will help remove some odor, along with more frequent water changes.

Yea carbon and water changes should eliminate the problem. Also its a general 'rule' that you should have double the filtration in tanks with turtles since they are a lot messier than fish, which is what the filters are made for.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Paskelle

What do you mean by 'if you dont have a pump'? i have a filter! I feel horrid if my turtle is suffering is some way because of the lack of this pump!!!!
Paskelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
chipres

Smile Water Pumps

You need a water pump if you have a tank or aquarium. If you have a large water container, you must change the water every day, after the turtle eats and defecates. Turtle water should never be "stinky"; it should always be clean. Use water conditioner to remove metals and chemicals from the tap water.

My turtle is 11 years 6 months old, and she is very healthy. My turtle can stay immersed in her water container, or if she likes, she swims, eats, and sleeps in her water container. She is free roaming, so she can climb in or out when she wants. In the winter she leaves the water more often. During the winter she leaves the water to sleep in my closet. In the spring and fall she likes to stay in her water container. In the summer, she likes to go outside and dig holes to lay her eggs. She also likes to come out of the water to bask in the sun.

I hope this has cleared any questions regarding water pumps for aquatic turtles. RES turtles are aquatic turtles, are excellent swimmers, and the females like to wander on land to forge for food and lay their eggs.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
stevenjohn21

Other posters have nailed it, Depending on which filter it is you can make home made filter cartridges which will save you money and you determine how much carbon goes into each cartridge. Start changing 5 gallons a day whilst syphoning the poop from the bottom. I have a bare bottom tank and its so much easier to clean. Also check your heater, if its too warm then that could be the reason also. I leave mine at 76 degrees which is probably cooler than most peoples but if i go warmer he wont come out to bask !

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
chipres

re: Stinky water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipres View Post
You need a water pump if you have a tank or aquarium. If you have a large water container, you must change the water every day, after the turtle eats and defecates. Turtle water should never be "stinky"; it should always be clean. Use water conditioner to remove metals and chemicals from the tap water.

RES turtles are aquatic turtles, are excellent swimmers, but they also like to wander on land to forage for food and lay their eggs.
Turtles have the wisdom of the ages in their DNA.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
chipres

[/quote]RES turtles are great.

Last edited by chipres; 03-11-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Duplicate
chipres is offline   Reply With Quote