Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Breeding
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
amdslp

my 'single' turtle laid 2 eggs

Hi,
I have a mud turtle that i found about 2.5-3 months ago. I keep him in a huge plastic bin with sand and lots of water. Today, there were 2 eggs in the bin, one in the plastic sand pit and one in the water. My husband and I had to wash out his bin (or I guess "her" bin) so we moved the eggs together into the sand pit. I know absolutely nothing about turtles and eggs and was actually getting ready to release my turtle because I want him to be happy and such.
Could my turtle have laid eggs without help of another turtle? I mean, he hasn't been in contact with any other turtles for as long as I have had him. And, should I release him and get rid of the eggs or should I just leave them alone? What chance to the eggs have of hatching? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks[/b]
amdslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
MegK

since youve only had the turtle for a couple months it the eggs could possible be fertile. but female turtles do lay eggs without a male, they are just empty.

if ur going to release her i would destroy the eggs.. and before anything develops if they are fertile.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
dnleung

If they have been moved chances are the embryos are now dead. Not that big of a deal, just release her. Female turtles can lay 4 or more years after having contact with a single male.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarius Keeper

I know with Red Ear Sliders, females sometimes becomes gravid with infertile eggs even without contact with a male. this can pose a potential health problem called "egg binding" where the female can't find a nesting site for her eggs and so they remain and bind inside of her.

For a Red Ear, this is dealt with my creating a nesting site (can be a box with 6-12 inches deep of soil, depending on her size) and letting her spend some time in it each day until she lays.

I don't know if it's the same with muds or not...
3 Bettas - Mars, Venus & Neptune
20g FW community tank
30g SW tank: porcupine puffer, fiji puffer, clown fish
Aquarius Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
turtle charmer

just sell her to a pet store she wont survive out in the wild. chances are she's been living with people all her life and she doesnt know whats required for the hard life
turtle charmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
turtlesaresurvivors

there are some organizations that accept turtles like rescue centers do a quick search on google or bing and look for some in your area they would probably take better care of him/her than a pet store, as far as the eggs they may be fertile they may not be see if a rescue center will take them if you want, also you might have some luck posting an add on craigslist and just sell her/him or give him/her away i see many adds on craigslist in the past where that's worked
turtlesaresurvivors is offline   Reply With Quote