Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Feeding Turtles
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
caison

Aquatic turtle won`t eat.

I recently got an aquatic turtle from a pond and he will not eat and I don`t know what kind he is and don`t have a camera. We gave him some turtle sticks and small feeder fish he is no bigger than your fist and it says not to feed them lettuce. PLEASE HELP HIM and me.
caison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
MegK

who said not to feed him lettuce?

he is probably startled if u just took him away from where he is comfortable so he wont eat until he feels safe again.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
It'sJames

Lettuce is mainly water. Since it has very little nutritional value, it's best not to feed it to him.

Can you describe your turtle to us, so we can try to determine what kind it is? Or maybe find a picture of a similar turtle online?

First of all, have you researched turtle care and set up a proper enclosure for him? This will need to include a basking spot, a heavy duty filter (turtles produce a lot of waste!), a UVB/UVA light, and a basking light. A heater may also be necessary depending on the type of turtle and were you live. If you aren't ready to properly care for him yet, I would suggest letting him go where you found him. You can always get another once you've researched turtle care and set up a good enviroment.

Many aquatic turtles are carnivorous while young, and will start to eat a more varied diet as they age. An adult is usually omnivorous. This will depend on the species though. Small crays, bloodworms, blackworms, insects, insect larvae, and commercial pellets are good for juvies. Supplements may be a good idea also.

As he grows he will need vegetation in his diet. I'm not sure exactly how old he is now, but you may want to offer aquatic plants, like anacharis. Snails, slugs, tadpoles, & small fish are also eaten my wild turtles.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to keep him. Good luck!
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
caison

got a camera

here is a website just something i threw together with a picture of him.

http://www.freewebs.com/caison1/index.htm
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
MegK

looks like a red eared slider to me, even tho he has yellow stripes

hes a baby so he wont be eating any greens for awhile. is he still not eating? not eating could be a sign or stress from being moved but its been awhile since u first posted.

whats the habitat like that u have set up for him?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
caison

yes

Yes he will eat now
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
RLover09

I wanna say maybe a painted turtle?? Is there anyway you can get a picture of his belly??
RLover09 is offline   Reply With Quote