Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Sick Turtle
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
pomfrettspets

Tea Tree Oil

I'm still fairly new to the turtle world, so I have a question that I was hoping a more experienced turtle person might could help me with. I bred Tropical Salt and Freshwater Fish for 20+ years, and I used Tea Tree Oil for anything from a scratch to fungus. Considering Turtles seem to have these problems as well, I was wondering if anyone had ever used this oil for shell and skin problems?
pomfrettspets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Chesh

Sorry! I don't know anything about turtles, but I DO know my herbals, and Tea tree is one of the best out there. I use it daily around the house, and ever since discovering Melafix, I've been wondering about how or IF it can be used in my trops tank in a purer/home-made form (hoping that I'll never NEED to use anything ever again, lol!) I'm really interested in what information you have regarding how you've used this oil in the past? Care to enlighten a curious soul?

Good luck on your turtle questions, wish I could help!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
pomfrettspets

I'm pretty into the herbs too. Melafix was how I first found out about Tea Tree Oil. I loved the stuff alot, but when dealing with fish tanks on a higher scale, it gets exspensive. I found just adding the oil to the water did wonders. Ofcourse in cases where there was a wound, I would net the fish and apply the oil directly to the infected area. It does take a while to mix in the water, so i advise small doses
pomfrettspets is offline   Reply With Quote