Turtles and Turtle Care

Go Back   Turtles and Turtle Care > Turtle Compatibility
Get immediate answers to your turtle questions with the Turtle and Terrapin Care eBook.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
marlogestole

can red-eared sliders live with plecos?

i know it's not a good idea to mix turtles with others, but can i still put a pleco in my tank? it's a 15-gallon tank, and it's it's filled 75%. if i can, then how many plecos would you suggest?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
caferacermike

Ok there are a couple of things going on in this post. I'll help as I can.

Can you keep plecos with turtles? Yes. With juvenile turtles any pleco larger than the turtle will most likely spook it. As the turtles grow larger they may nip at the fins of the pleco but should generally leave them alone. Plecs have very dense armor on their bodies making it difficult to eat. If you keep the turtle full up on easy to eat and digest foods then you can even keep ornamental fish with them. When we raised turtles we would toss in a handful of goldfish each week. One week we noticed 2 goldfish had made it. Then several weeks later those 2 goldfish were still alive yet each new goldfish was eaten with relish. For some reason the tank full of turtles decided those 2 goldfish were their pets and left them alone. Often times you could see the fish swimming right in front of or over the turtles.

Should you put a pleco in a 15g tank? Short answer no. Long answer yes. Yes you can add some ornamental plecos such as Queen Arabesque plecos to a 15g tank if it was a regular tropical fish tank. Would I add a QA to a tank full of turtles, never. They stay small enough to eat and are to expensive to try. So would I add a $4 common? No, they will get to large. There are already to many unwanted commons over 6" flooding the market. I hate to see my LFS wrap them in a bag and freeze them everyday.

Seriously consider upgrading to a 55g. They are cheap at Walmart with a stand included. The most expensive part would be a canister filter so you can keep the water clean. Nice thing abotu a canister is that you don't have to keep the tank full to the top. You can keep it half full and adapt the return line so that it is longer than normal and goes to the bottom of the tank. This will allow room for a pleco and a lot of room for your young turtles to grow in. I'd never raise turtles in anything smaller.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
marlogestole

thanks for your answer. that really helped.

actually i just visited www.redearedsliders.com last night and i found a lot of different RES habitats. i'm planning on having a 55g tank custom-made by my uncle. that will be my project next year! :D :D